Tuesday, March 2, 2010

It's the little things

As an openly gay man, I rarely run up against open hostility in my world.  Sure, I've arranged my life that way, but most bias I encounter is unintended, like the time I bought flowers and the clerk said, "She'll be thrilled."  No malice intended, just assumptions made.

But tonight I was filling out a federal form.  The question: "Are you married?"  I was about to check "yes" when I read the fine print.  The Defense of Marriage Act defines marriage as between one man and one woman.  For the purposes of this form, same-sex couples are not married. 

I know it seems like a minor inconvenience, but it's little things like this that remind me that the US government treats some of its citizens as second class.

I'll be back on Thursday!  Enjoy the first day DC offers marriage licenses to same-sex couples!

1 comment:

  1. You shudda checked yes, and let 'em come and git you!

    ReplyDelete