Tuesday, December 8, 2009

A senatorial double standard?

As I've started this blog, I've stayed away from the more gossipy aspects of political life, except, perhaps, when truths about a person's private life are in direct contradiction to their public statements and political behavior.  I don't believe in "outing" people, and I sometimes think that those of us on the left have done more to make a celebrity out of the Beauty Queen from California and her anti-gay marriage stand than the right wing.

So I've thought a great deal about his post.  Full disclosure: Scott Brown (left), who won the Mass Republican primary for the senate seat vacated by Ted Kennedy, is not someone of whom I am particularly fond.  He was a vehement opponent of same-sex marriage and, to a degree, civil unions.  But it is not in this context that I write about his posing as a nude centerfold for Cosmo in his twenties.  I actually don't think this should disqualify anyone, but it is staggering to think what the career of Democratic nominee Martha Coakley's (right) would be if she had done the same thing.   Reverse the photos.  Can you ever imagine Atty General Coakley elected for anything in Mr. Brown's position?  And for the record, Scott Brown is now a state senator in Massachusetts.  He was the only viable candidate who ran for the Republican nomination for senator.

No comments:

Post a Comment