Thursday, December 10, 2009

Enough about Tiger


Okay.  Full disclosure.  I have not had sex with Tiger Woods.  I don't if that makes me an outcast, a loser, or maybe a bit more objective in discussing his problems.  I'm hoping it makes me the later.

What is it with the obsession with Tiger Woods?  Some of my favorite people, including Keith Obermann, have completely let me down on their coverage on the Tiger Woods' private life.    I don't want to hear any more from news agencies. Just a few reasons why Woods and family deserves privacy from serious media:

1.  He is not a political figure.  John Edwards, who would have put the Democratic victory in jeopardy, is one thing.  A sports figure -- no matter how talented or revered -- is another.

2. He hasn't used his status to judge others.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but has he ever stood on a holier-than-thou soap box to belittle others?

3. He hasn't been hypocritical.  I've never heard Woods proclaim that marriage was between one man and one woman.  He's never used his power and prominence to assert any sort of moral authority.

4.  We are at war.  We are still in an economic crisis.  The environment is in crisis.   Leave the Woods story to the tabloids.  I want more from news sources I respect.

So please, Keith and company.  When I grab the remote to hear you, I want to learn about real issues that affect the world.  I want to understand why the health care bill is being watered down minute by minute.  I want to hear about anything else but Tiger right now.  

No comments:

Post a Comment