Wednesday, November 4, 2009

Maine

As I write this, a little after midnight, it is still too close to call in Maine.  The latest signs, though, aren't inspiring confidence in me.  The cities overwhelmingly supported same-sex marriage, but the rural areas -- many still yet to come in -- are voting to stop marriage equality.  It is discouraging, to say the least.  I hope I'm wrong.  I hope I'll wake up tomorrow to a surprise, but I'm not counting on it.

Where were our national leaders?   Where was the Democratic National Committee?  The silence is deafening.  And it is killing us.  As Audre Lourde once said, "your silence will not protect you."


Here's how I want to feel.  I want to be like Cindy Lou Who and all the folks in Whoville who have a joyous Christmas despite the Grinch's "stealing" of the holiday. I want to rise above marriage rights being stolen. I want to pretend that it doesn't matter, that love will conquer all. 

But this isn't a cartoon.  It's people's lives.  And that our Democratic leaders are not doing everything they can to support us is deeply disappointing.

No comments:

Post a Comment