Friday, April 9, 2010

Let's hear it for Jamaica!

ukgaynews.com is reporting that Jamaica celebrated its first ever Gay Pride Day on Wednesday.  Officially called the Walk for Tolerance, the parade took place in Montego Bay.

Said William Urich, the chair of InterPride Committee on International GLBTI Human Rights, “Yesterday was an amazing day, here in Montego Bay.  My eyes well up at the very thought of the day's outstanding and astounding success.”

Encouragingly, the walk had police support, Mr. Urich added.

Around 100 took part in the walk, which was headed by Reverend Elder Nancy L. Wilson, the openly lesbian presiding bishop of the International Movement of Metropolitan Community Churches.

One participant commented: “I never thought I would live to see the day that this could happen in Jamaica.”

And other ‘buzz phrases’ heard at the event included “I'm exercising my rights”, “I feel so liberated”, “I have validation”, and “exuberant”

Here's a wonderful video of the event:

No comments:

Post a Comment