Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Not your typical school mail


High schoolers in Maryland are required to take home this flyer that reads in part, "As a gay man I never thought I could change WHO I was.  Until I realized there was a choice...and I chose to change from gay to straight."

In Maryland, schools are required to send home information from any nonprofit that isn't promoting hate speech.  Perhaps this flyer isn't overt hate speech, but I have to ask: What if instead of being gay, any religious group was inserted in this flyer?

As a Mormon I never thought I could change WHO I was.  Until I realized there was a choice...and I chose to change from Mormon to Catholic.

As a Christian I never thought I could change WHO I was.  Until I realized there was a choice...and I chose to change from Christian to atheist. 


As a Jew I never thought I could change WHO I was.  Until I realized there was a choice...and I chose to change from Jewish to Christian.

I bet that flyer would sound a whole lot more like hate speech under these circumstances.  Why should we expect less from people who are telling kids that it is not okay to be who you are if you are gay?

Maybe it's time for Maryland to take another look at his ridiculous law.

No comments:

Post a Comment