Friday, May 7, 2010

The fact that I traveled with a young blond I found on rentboy.com doesn't make me gay!

The story of George Reker, the ardently  anti-gay activist who was found with a young gay prostitute, keeps getting stranger.  Today the Miami Herald, which broke the story, published an email by Reker.  Here is part of it:
If today’s news story in the Miami New Times is accurate, I have been advised to retain the services of a defamation attorney in this matter, because the fact is that I am not gay and never have been.

My travel assistant called me this afternoon earnestly asking me to clarify on my website that he worked for me as a travel companion and not as a prostitute. I completely agreed with my travel assistant that it is absolutely true that I hired him and he worked for me as a travel companion and not as a prostitute. I also read to him the first sentence that has been posted on my website for several days that says, “A recent article in an alternative newspaper cleverly gave false impressions of inappropriate behavior because of its misleading innuendo, incorrectly implying that Professor George Rekers used the Rentboy website to hire a prostitute to accompany him on a recent trip.”
If a picture is worth a thousand words, then these photos of Mr. Reker's "baggage handler" pretty much tell the story.


I am generally against outing people against their will.  I also tend to be sympathetic to LGBT folks in the closet, especially those who came of age in an era when being openly gay was not only difficult, but also quite dangerous.  However, all bets are off when one of those closeted people have spent their lives attacking the LGBT community.

(Thanks to Joe.My.God.)

No comments:

Post a Comment